Sunday, October 6, 2013

Taco Sunday

I am all about simplicity and the crock pot. I make up huge batches of slow cooked chicken every week and we use it in all different things. I was in the mood for Mexican food (as Bobby always is) so I figured I would spice up my typically plain slow cooked chicken. I just used the salt free Mrs. Dash chipotle lime seasoning and some TJ's taco season with water and let it cook on high for about 4-5 hours. After about 4 hours I shredded up the chicken and placed it back into the crock pot to soak up the seasoning more. (I should have let it cook longer after shredding, but we were hungry!)

I did a TJ's run today, something I haven't done in awhile (don't know why) and found half corn half whole wheat tortillas. I also bought lite shredded Mexican blend cheese and bought some pre-washed and chopped romaine lettuce ( I bought a bunch of other things too but these things were for dinner tonight). We already had roasted diced green chiles and sour cream and that was all it required. Simple shredded chicken tacos and were super yummy! My friend gave me an enchilada recipe I want to try too! This was kind of a wing it meal and you can literally do it any day of the week. If you don't use a ton of cheese or sour cream (which we don't) it is overall a pretty clean and healthy dinner! You can also substitute the sour cream out for non fat plain Greek Yogurt, which is what I typically do but I just went with sour cream this time.

It was nice to cook a meal that my hubby enjoyed and was still healthy as well. I tend to struggle with the balance of meals being healthy and tasting like they aren't. It feels good to make a meal that is both and have Bobby love it, but it was tacos so really you can't go wrong!





Bobby's Tacos :)

I have a few other yummy things I plan on making this week too! Wish me luck! :)

2 comments:

  1. YUMMY!!! Tacos/tostadas are a weekly staple here. I make them at least once a week! Danny always switches up his meat choice and I switch up my protein choice but the rest is always the same! Then I get creative with the leftovers and will make taco salads. :) Easy and delicious! You should try the blender salsa recipe for homemade salsa, it's super yummy (it's on my blog and on pinterest). Good luck the rest of the week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I KNOW! I have been wanting to try that salsa recipe! I will SOON!

    ReplyDelete